Monday, December 1, 2008

make a lesson of it.

I'm having a ball with my new lens. Thanks KC. Now I can record my favorite Christmas memories all season! This one has kinda captured our hearts. I can't wait to see his personality mature.
Side Profile
I told Colson I'd give him a chocolate raisin if he would hug his brother. So, I bribed him, ok? And no, they aren't usually sitting in my living room together like this. ha.
brothers
Flying Planes. He loves to pretend.
Flying Planes
Look at that toothy grin! I think he's got a top one trying to poke its way through as well. I'll keep you updated.
Toothy

Today I spent some time with Colson reading in Luke about the Angel Gabriel coming to Zacharias and then to Mary. I'm going to try to take time everyday this month to spend time looking ahead to Christmas. We don't want to just celebrate presents for presents sake, we want to celebrate the greatest story in the world!

Today I was talking to a girl friend and we were talking about joy in parenting. Your children will love what you love, if only you take the time to share it with them. If you want them to love church, do you? If you want them to love the Bible, do you? If you want them to love Jesus and his people, are you? Does it show? Can they see it in your facial expression, in your excitement, in your quiet joy, in your solemnity, in your diligent work, in all that you do? What a calling!

Do you love Christmas? Why? If you want this season to be meaningful for your family, take the time to sit down with your children and talk to them and read with them about what it's all about. Some of you, I know, have youngsters that won't get a whole lot. But still try. Get creative. Last year we made just a couple ornaments to hang on our tree that told of a story that lead to Jesus. We kept it very simple. Let them glue something. Let them help you bake and make a lesson of it. The bread we eat is a picture of bread from heaven. or, let them help make cookies and talk about eating sweet things during this sweet time of year, because of Jesus' entrance into the world, to save the world. Give them to a neighbor and help them to see the joy in giving. Last year we hung lights up in our home and we emphasized that Jesus is the light of the world. He shines his light into dark places. Our Christmas tree (that children are fixed on), we used to teach about the tree that Jesus hung on to take our sins from us and to give us life.

Start simple, start small, but start something. But don't do it if it's too frustrating for you because if they see that it's not a joy to you, it won't be a joy to them either. Don't have too high an expectation. Do something simple enough for them to enjoy. Get creative and do something they can participate in, more than just dig into presents. Presents are great, but they are only great because of Jesus. And if we're thinking about Jesus today and tomorrow, the presents will be all the more great in light of God's gift to us, in His Son.

Deut 11:18-19 "You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall teach them to your children, talking to them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."

May God bless these efforts!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Love those pictures! What sort of camera and lens are you using?

Julie A said...

Hey Kiki,
How are you my friend? I really appreciated this blog. You brought up a lot of great points think about. I can't wait until Ivy is a little older so I can teach her more in depth lessons. Right now all I could get her to do is eat the cookie...she will eat anything..except scrabbled eggs. So I have been researching cameras ever since I talked to you a while ago. I am saving up for the Nikon D 90. I can't wait. Especially when I see your pictures I get sooooo excited! It keeps me awake at night thinking about the camera. I know it is kinda lame but what a fun way to express your artistic side and creativity.


Blog Archive